Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Weeknights Call For One Skillet

I make a lot of one pot meals. It is just so much easier and less messy. And since we gave up on eating at our dining room table a long time ago I can just put some food on my plate or in my bowl and call it good. A starch, a protein, and a vegetable all in one place can be a lovely thing. It also encourages eating of vegetables when I don't have to prepare one separately.

We were talking about linguica sausage the other day and the fact that I never use it. We have access to Zenner's sausage, which is a local sausagier. That is not a word but I am making it one. Zenner's makes excellent sausage. I use their andouille sausage all the time. So, I looked at the ol' internets to see what people do with linguica besides eat it for breakfast. Potatoes and kale seem to be pretty popular with it. I like the way those Portuguese people think. This was an easy, relatively quick (if you don't cut your potatoes quite as huge as I did) meal.

Linguisa With Potatoes, Onions, and Kale

1 tbs. olive oil
3 large potatoes, cut into about 1" chunks (peeled if you want, I like the skin)
1/2 onion, diced
1 lb. linguica sausage, sliced
1/2 head kale, torn or cut into small pieces
salt
pepper

Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add potatoes, onions, sausage, and a pinch of salt and pepper and stir to get them all mixed up.

Cover and cook for around 20 minutes or until potatoes are cooked through, stirring occasionally.

Add kale and cover for a few minutes so it wilts. Taste for seasonings, I added a bit more salt. Consume!

No comments:

Post a Comment